Become a Referee
Why become a soccer ref?
Soccer’s a great game, and if you’re reading this you probably feel the same way. Reffing soccer lets you be around the game you love and be outside, all while getting paid! Plus, being a ref is an opportunity to develop leadership and decision-making skills that will definitely help you later on.
If you want to become a referee, read on!
To become a referee you will need to take a certification course. Sign up by going to www.massref.net and clicking on “Course Schedule.”
- You must be 14 years of age to become a certified referee, which will allow you to ref both in-town and travel games, as well as tournaments.
- You must recertify each year to ref again the following year. Recertification classes are offered online at www.massref.net
- You should immediately sign up to recertify once the fall season ends in order to be in proper standing for the following Spring season.
Once you are certified, email the Hopkinton Referee Assignor, Ray Almeida, [email protected], to be added to our list of referees. Once you are added to the list, you will get additional information by email as we approach the upcoming season.
You can fill out a Request for Reimbursement for the cost of the certification, recertification, or bridge classes. You can find the form in the REFEREES section of www.hopkintonsoccer.org. In order to be reimbursed, you must actively ref for Hopkinton the following season.
Don’t worry, we won’t just throw you out on the field for your first game! You will be mentored by an experienced Hopkinton ref who will help you to smoothly enter into the rewarding world of soccer refereeing.
If you have any questions, please contact the Hopkinton Referee Assignor, Ray Almeida, [email protected]
Expectations of Referee
- Knows the rules and understands the game.
- Places health and welfare of the players above all other considerations.
- Treats players and coaches courteously and demands the same from them.
- Works cooperatively with fellow referees and linesmen.
- Is fair and firm in all decisions on the field.
- BAYS www.bays.org
- User Guide for Referees:
- Follow these instructions on how to register, log in, apply to the town of Hopkinton, accept games, and enter game reports
- Referees Login:
- Log in to BAYS to accept your games and do game reports.
- Mass Youth Soccer: www.mayouthsoccer.org
- Reffing at a tournament is a great experience!
- Ask the Referee: www.askasoccerreferee.com
Questions answered by the USSF involving game situations and rules interpretations